Shabby Miss Jenn

Monday, February 6, 2012

An Awesome Felt Made Valentine's Day

I put together a couple of Valentines decorations using inexpensive felt...the two projects all together were maybe $20.  And again both were Pinterest finds...And both have tutorials that I will link for you!

The first AWESOME project is this felt heart wreath.    It was fairly easy, but a little time consuming...Cutting out all the felt circles was the most daunting task of it.  But I used a rotary cutter meant for paper crafts and it made it all go a bit faster.  The circles were 4inches in diameter. 

 I used around 200 stick pins and 3/4 of a yard of pink felt and 1/4 of yard of red...though I didn't use all the red. 

 I couldn't find a Styrofoam heart form larger than 9inches at any of our local stores so I bought a large disk of Styrofoam at Micheal's and cut a heart shape and then cut the middle of the heart shape out to make it a "wreath".  When cutting Styrofoam I have found a pumpkin carving knife to work perfectly!
 Here is the Link to the AWESOME tutorial from The Idea Room that I followed to make the felt heart wreath.




The other Awesome Valentine Felt project I did was this WAY cute and WAY easy heart garland.  It is made from 1 9x12 sheet of red felt and 1 9x12 sheet of pink felt, 1/2 inch white puff balls, and simple cotton thread.
   Pin It
 If I were to do it again I would change two things...I would use that stiff felt you see in the felt isle...It would help the hearts keep their shape while hanging...or as my friend Laura pointed out...you could always try spraying it with startch.  The second thing I would change is the size of puff balls...I would use an inch size...I think it would just add more to the garland...But since it was my hubby who picked up the supplies on his way home from work I should be impressed that he was willing AND found all the correct supplies!  Love you Honey!
I love how it looks and LOVE how fun and easy it was...here is the tutorial...it is in Japanese I believe but the pictures explain it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment