Shabby Miss Jenn

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Goodwill Sweaters into AWESOME Mittens

This was a Pinterest inspired project... Warm Mittens out made from old wool sweaters. 





  Above is the photo that was the "PIN" I fell in love with! An anonymous pinner captioned the "PIN" saying, "Make from old sweaters!"  The photo came from Saartje Knits craft blog, but, I soon realized that this pin was not directing me to a tutorial on how to make these gloves from old sweaters. It was a post about knitting these!  She is far more talented than I. So I went on a Google hunt to find a tutorial to show me how to make mitten out of old sweaters.

I found this awesome video on YouTube complete with a link to the PDF pattern!




So I went in search of 100% wool sweaters.  I asked family and friends if they had any they were looking to get rid of...no luck there for me, but it may work for you!  I went out and searched the racks at the Goodwill for my soon to be mitten sweaters. I walked out of the store with five sweaters and one scarf for $8. I then washed them in hot water and dried them on high heat to shrink them as much as possible. 
 
Then I cut out my pieces trying to use as much as the pretty parts of the sweaters as possible...i.e. embroidered flowers, sewn on embellishments and patterns in the wool itself. 
 


Then I sewed them together and also sewed in a super soft fleece lining...I love how they turned out! Some have little pockets for cuteness more than necessity and I was even to use some of the buttons from the original sweaters on them!


 Super soft fleece lining...notice there are NO seams showing at all...I love this pattern because of how easy it was, but how professional they look.


Super soft fleece lining...notice there are NO seams showing at all...I love this pattern because of how easy it was, but how professional they look.


Out of five sweaters and one scarf, I was able to get 11 pairs of mittens. And without counting the cost of the fleece(my mom gave it to me), each pair cost me $.72 to make!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment